baking

Buffalo Chicken Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread Cupcakes!

5:13 PM

Ew gross, right? WRONG. These are savory little jerks and not one thing about them is sweet. Unless you mean "sweet" like "awesome".

savory and spicy perfection
Introducing: Buffalo Chicken Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread Cupcakes with Popcorn Chicken on top

I was inspired to makes these from a crazy version our friend Anna Marie posted on the Beard's facebook wall. The link featured a sweet cupcake with a buttercream frosting WITH a whole buffalo wing on top. Ew, gross, gag. UGH! We and several more friends shared a conversation on this facebook post and ideas of blue cheese and cornbread were tossed around. That's when I chimed in with "What about cornbread cupcakes with buffalo chicken dip (with extra cream cheese) frosting/filling. With a popcorn chicken covered in buffalo sauce on top." A few minutes later I added "Ohhhh maybe even a cheddar jalapeno cornbread. omgggg." So here it is, with a little how-to. 

*


I used the cheapest versions of everything I could find, except I didn't end up using the butter. I made the cornbread mix like it told me on the side of the box then I added canned jalapenos and shredded cheddar cheese until it looked right. Not too much, not too little. I baked them in foil cups for a little more than 15 minutes.
While they baked, I made the buffalo chicken dip "frosting" and filling. It is made up of 12oz of cream cheese, a can of chicken breast, shredded mexican cheese, jalapeno ranch dressing, and of course - lots of buffalo sauce. The only real measurment you have to worry about is the cream cheese. From there its about half the bottle of ranch, two big handfuls of cheese, the whole can of chicken, then buffalo sauce until it all looks and tastes right. I usually bake this when I am serving it as a dip, but since it was going to be going in and on the "cupcakes", I just microwaved it a little to melt the cheese. After you heat it up, pour it all into a plastic baggy and cool it in the fridge.
Once your cheddar jalapeno cupcakes are done baking, let them cool for a while on a wire rack. They will smell amazing at this point!
You can take this opportunity to bake your popcorn chicken toppers and make yourself a little captain and coke. (You worked hard so far, you deserve it! haha).
Once your cupcakes are cool, take a knife and cut out cone shaped holes. Take your baggy of buffalo chicken dip from the fridge and cut off the corner. Fill up the holes with the dip and try not to squeeze the dip into your mouth from the baggy, please.
Frost the tops with more buffalo chicken dip, add a popcorn chicken, then drizzle with more buffalo sauce! And there you have it! Delicious jalapeno cheddar "cupcakes" with buffalo chicken dip "frosting" and filling with a popcorn chicken on top, drizzled with buffalo sauce! They are probably a fork and plate worthy appetizer, unless you are a brave soul. I can't wait to share these with pals, and take them to a super bowl party, and generally use them as a bribe for if I want the Beard to do girly things with me. Haha!

Let me know if you try these out! You will love them, I promise.

:)

You Might Also Like

0 comments